Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hot-lanta?

Not this time! Last week, Venita and I went to Atlanta to go visit a friend from the mission and also make a road trip to Memphis to check out a school. It was quite the trip but it was disappointing that we left Salt Lake during one of the warmest weeks of winter to go to the one time a year that it "snows" in Atlanta. Nonetheless, we had a great trip and can't wait to go back someday.
We arrived in Atlanta late Saturday night so the next morning we woke up, went to church and headed on a relatively quick road trip (3 hours each way) straight up to Tennessee. It was Venita and I, Trent and Erin and Kelsi and her fiance Gregg. We went up to Fall Creek Falls and went for a little hike. Here are some pictures of the different water falls and the ice that goes along with them.




















The next day our adventures included going to the Coca Cola Factory/ Museum. In Venita's words, I come from a Coke addicted family (the drink) and so this was a special treat to go to the Happiness Factory!!
Funny story time: Sunday night as we were going to bed, Venita had been telling me about how she has felt so unusually nauseous lately and especially with all the traveling the previous few days it had gotten worse. She had absolutely convinced me that she was pregnant! Terrible feeling when having babies interrupts your 4 year plan! I told her that the next day we'd go get a test and find out for sure. We didn't really want to make a big deal about getting one and so while we were on our way to the Coca Cola factory, we stopped to get some gas. Trent and Erin were filling up the car and V and I ran over to the grocery store to get some "water and something for a headache". We picked up a 2 pack of tests and as we walked out of the store, I opened the package and threw away the box, putting the tests in my inside coat pocket. Right then, Trent and Erin pulled up to the curb to pick us up. And we were off! When we got to the Coca Cola Factory, I didn't realize that we'd have to go through a metal detector to get inside. As expected, I walked through and set off the alarm. They noticed I had my watch on so had me take it off and walk through again. Again, the alarm went off. At this point, the nice black lady with the wand had me step to the side while she did a manual search. Of course the wand started beeping quickly as it passed over my coat pocket. She asked me to open my jacket to show her what was inside so I asked her to step off to the side even more so that no one would see but her. I opened my jacket and showed her the two sticks in foil wrappers that have the words "Pregnancy Test" written at least 43 times on each of them. She just nods and says, "Oh, ok". As she's using the wand over my back she says to me, "Well, I guess congratulations are in order". I kinda chuckled and replied, "I sure hope not!" The look on her face was priceless! Venita couldn't hear what we were saying but she saw the lady's face and knew that something awkward had just happened. You probably had to be there but I was laughing the rest of the afternoon.
















We were lucky enough to have our picture with the Coca Cola Polar Bear (just for you Rachel). As we were standing in line, Erin had mentioned that she was disappointed that it was just a robotic bear instead of someone in a bear suit. Erin and Trent were in line for their picture first and the bear must have heard what she said because as they were walking up to him, he stood up and scared the poop out of her. The bear had quite a good laugh about it after all of her shrieks.






















There was a case that held all the Olympic Torches from the past 2 decades. This is me holding the torch from Torino.


















And the official American Idol couch from the first few seasons.













This was the highlight of the tour though. Over 60 different Coke products from all over the world! Drink as much of anything that you want for free!
















This is us eating at the best BBQ restaurant in the south- Barbecue Street! Erin is a server there and Trent has worked his way up from host, server, cook and is now the General Manager. Definitely the BEST ribs I've ever had along with the BBQ pork, chicken, macaroni and cheese, green beans, potato salad, hushpuppies, and deep fried pickles. Thanks Trent for the great southern hospitality!!




























And finally, the last part of the trip. Since Trent had to work and school on Tuesday, V and I decided it would be the best day to make our 18 hour road trip to Memphis to check out the Southern College of Optometry. We had a tour set up for 12:30 and since it is about 6 hours from Atlanta to Memphis, we got an early start. Luckily the rental car company gave us a new VW Passat so we drove in style! V and I took turns alternating between driving and napping and made it in pretty good time. The drive took us from Georgia, through Alabama and Mississippi and up to Tennessee. We did get there in time to watch the Inauguration in the lobby with all the students. I sure didn't vote for him but it was a cool experience to watch the Inauguration the day after MLK Jr. day in the city he was assassinated.




























The tour was great and Venita's friend Eric answered a lot of questions for us. He's really helped us for awhile now with advice and I was really glad to finally meet him. It's too bad that by the time I'm heading to school, he will be graduating.
After the tour, I had a meeting with the head of admissions and just talked about where I am in school and what I need to be doing to prepare for optometry school. She made a chart for me so the school already has my information on file. That will help for when I actually apply and hopefully give me an upper hand!
We were both kinda sad that we had forgotten to download the song "Walking in Memphis" before we left but as we were leaving, we experienced a tender mercy as it came on the radio!













Goodbye Atlanta! Thanks for the fun times!


3 comments:

Lisa said...

Interesting how you never told the results of the test...

Dave L said...

That was one of the two optometry schools I was going to apply to last year. I even took the OAT and was ready to go before I decided on med school.

I have some friends that are there right now. One is in his first year and the other is in his second year. They love the school.

Anyway, that's cool. I didn't know that was in your plans.

Chanae said...

Lol Your pregnant stories crack me up. But I'd be careful if I were you. Have you ever heard of the boy who cried wolf? One day, you may not be as lucky... I'm glad you guys had fun on your trip.