Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"It's always easier to leave, than to be left." -DM

My friend Trevor has a somewhat sick but comical joke that when someone dies, he will send a text asking, "Is so-and-so there?". That's his special way of updating people on any current celebrity deaths. Earlier this summer, while Dave Matthews Band was on tour, I received a text asking, "Is LeRoi Moore (DMB saxophonist)there?" Luckily it was just a cruel joke and he did not die but was in a terrible ATV accident and punctured his lungs. This put him out of commission for the rest of the summer tour. Tonight while enjoying myself at my brother-in-law's wedding, I got the dreaded text that I hoped I'd never have to see, "Is LeRoi Moore there? No joke"
LeRoi Moore, saxophonist and founding member of Dave Matthews Band, died unexpectedly Tuesday afternoon, August 19, 2008, at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles from sudden complications stemming from his June ATV accident on his farm near Charlottesville, Virginia. LeRoi had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin an intensive physical rehabilitation program.
The band has only a few weeks left on tour and were scheduled to play in L.A. tonight. To everyone's amazement, they did not cancel the show but played their hearts out and dedicated the evening to one of their best friends of 17 years.
What this news means for the rest of the tour and my 4 shows within the next few weeks is uncertain but LeRoi's passing has already been felt by the fans and his musicianship will be greatly missed. Here's to you Roi! Thanks for the good times!

2 comments:

Andy said...

You probably already know this, but in French "Le Roi" literally means "The King."

Jennifer said...

I found your blog when doing a random Google search for that quote that Dave said. I'm torn apart by this. RIP, LeRoi.