Wednesday, June 26, 2013
10:00 39 week Dr. Appointment: Set induction for Thursday morning. Dilated to 1.5-2
Thursday, June 27, 2013
6:30 Called hospital to see if they had a bed for me. Dr. Crooke forgot to tell them he scheduled me for an induction.
8:00 Dropped Bensen off at Ruegsegger’s house until Lynnette could get here to watch him the rest of the weekend. Headed to hospital.
8:30 Signed paperwork
9:30 Finally started on antibiotic and Pitocin. Dilated to 2.
12:45 Doc broke my water. Dilated to 3.
1:30 Epidural. Jeff was excused for 20 minutes.
4:00 Dilated to 6. Hoping to have the baby by 6.
5:00 Dilated to 8. Still hoping to have the baby by 6 but not as optimistic.
5:30 Dilated to 9.
5:45 Dilated to 10. Instructed not to push or this baby would come out before the doc could get down the hall.
5:51 Doc arrived. Started pushing. Pushed 4 times, through 1 contraction.
5:57 Dexter Brent Simmons was born, crying. Weiging 6 lbs 13 oz. 19.5 inches.
Our biggest regret with Bensen was that neither of us thought to take many pictures at the hospital, so all we have are the few that our visitors provided. Knowing we wouldn't have many visitors, we were determined to take more when Dexter was born. I had seen a few photography birth sessions on other blogs and thought how fun it was to have all the detail shots from the day. Jeff was awesome and took a ton of pictures and the collection turned out great. (The only thing that could have been better is if I would have been better at taking picture of him throughout the day too. I guess I had other things on my mind.)
Dexter was born on a lovely Thursday evening. At my doctor appointment the previous day, my doctor determined that I was dilated to 1.5-2 and was 80% effaced, which would be good enough to induce me. Because we had Lynnette coming in from Michigan to help with Bensen, we decided it would be best if we could know when the baby was coming in order to prevent any unnecessary stress of finding sitters for him while we were at the hospital. It was such a relief to know that she would be at our house taking care of Bensen instead of having him go to different people’s houses. She was driving down Thursday afternoon and so we only had to find someone to watch him Thursday morning for a few hours. Thank you Lynnette and your cute girls for all of your help.
Anyway, back to Dexter. We went to the hospital and I had to be hooked up on antibiotics for 4 hours before the baby came because I tested positive for Group Strep B. I was only dilated to a 2 they decided to have me also start receiving Pitocin. After hours of watching Cheers or other lame TV shows, the doc came and broke my water and said the baby would hopefully be there around dinner time. As the day went on, I became less and less optimistic that he would come before before my goal time of 6. However, as luck would have it, he beat the clock by three minutes. Wahoo, go Dexter!
The actual delivery was super easy and only lasted a few minutes. I've been lucky as both of my deliveries have been that way. One of the best parts of the day was watching my baby be born. I know some think it is weird, but I would recommend it to everyone to request a mirror and watch as they deliver their baby. 1- it helped me see the progress my pushing was making and, mentally, made all the difference when it came to pushing hard enough to get that baby out. 2- childbirth is a miracle and after nine months of pregnancy and all day of labor, I deserve to enjoy witnessing the apex of my body's work with my own eyes. 3- it made the moment my babies were born so memorable and so special and the feelings of happiness, joy, amazement and awe make it all worth it.
Dexter came out screaming, and would not be consoled. Once he settled down, he gave the best snuggles and has been the best baby ever since. We just love our little Dex and cannot imagine life without him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment