Thursday, November 20, 2008

Week of THANKSGIVING!

Since Thanksgiving is so near, I thought we would dedicate a few posts to those we are so thankful for. The kick off post is going out to the guy who introduced us to one of the greatest food combinations ever!




















+















Mix the two together and you end up with a delicious meal!!!



Jeph was too young to remember his dad, and I obviously never had the chance to meet him, but those who did know him only have the best to say of him. Grandma Simmons was kind enough to make a book with pictures, poetry, and cards from those who knew him. Included in the book was a poem written by Grandpa Simmons after John passed away on November 20, 1987.

TRIBUTE TO A SON
This House still echos sobbing cries at night
a little boy who learned to live with pain
he grew into a man with courage great
endured his woe and seldom would complain.

Dear Righteous Son, your journey now is o'er
you lived your life like heros from the past
we miss your winning smile and thoughtful ways
you cast a dauntless shadow that will last.

You wed a lovely girl who bore five sons
your love a gleaming model to behold
a sweet companion just as brave as you
worth more to anyone than precious gold.

The world's a better place because of you
your example of true courage - a shining light
a beacon for all to follow and admire
beaming comfort to help others in their plight.

--Raymond E. Simmons
10-10-88






















I also wanted to thank him for his wonderful son Jeph and for giving him his beautiful smile!

2 comments:

Rachel and Eric said...

I can't even tell you how many memories I have of all the Simmons boys eating peanutbutter with their cereal--and I always thought it was so weird! I never knew it came from Jeff's dad! This was such a great post!

Anonymous said...

Perfect. This post couldn't be more perfect.

Thanks for the tears we're both shedding right now!! :) We are lucky girls to have married such wonderful young men, who shadow a marvelous man who one day we will meet....what a wonderful day that will be.