Jeph and I decided instead of walking at graduation, we would take the couple hundred dollars it would have cost to see one of us walk across the stage and both go on a little vacation instead. We decided to go to St. George because 1) it was close and we could take a weekend trip with minimal travel time, 2) it is considerably warmer than SLC right now, and 3) it is anywhere but home and work.
We drove down Saturday after Jeph got of work and stayed until Tuesday. We were really glad we made the trip the weekend before Memorial day and on week days because everything was considerably less crowded. We didn't run into people everywhere we went and it was delightful. We spent Sunday relaxing with a picnic at the temple (we sat/laid under a tree that looked like a giraffe), learning more about St. George at the visitors center, and watching a few films they were showing there. It was lovely and relaxing.
(Giraffe Tree)
Monday we went hiking through Snow Canyon. Jeph decided he wanted to hike the volcano which was only 1.5 miles round trip. The brochure said it was difficult, but we didn't believe it, so we started up the volcano. I got about a third of the way and gave up, so Jeph had to go the rest of the way solo. In my defense, the volcano hike was literally straight up and covered in small volcanic rocks which slid out from under your feet with every step you took. It was nearly impossible to make any progress and the thing that did me in was realizing if I kept going up, eventually I'd have to find a way back down. YIKES! Even with the small portion I had already hiked, I ended up sitting on my feet/butt and sliding down because it was better to choose that method than have it chosen for me by gravity. So I when I got to the bottom I climbed the miniture volcano a third of the size of the one that Jeph climbed and felt less like a hiking failure.
(If you look closely you can see a little stick on the top = Jeph)
(The inside of the volcano)
After that we were both exhausted and decided to stick with the easy, short trails in the canyon. I know Jeph has some major rock climbing skills so I convinced him to free-climb a a rock, which he did like a pro. It was still very delightful. After we decided to go for a drive through Tuachan and to see if Jeph's old friends the Smiths/Shurtliffs were home. Jeph spent a few summers working on their ranch, which is what helped him accept and kinda like the simple country part of me. Unfortunately they were not home so we took a picture and enjoyed the scenic drive through Gunlock and headed back to the hotel to spend some time at the pool. FANTASTIC!
That night we went out for our big graduation dinner and took the recommendation of Jeph's parents and ate at Anasazi Steakhouse. We got the famous hot rock steaks and fondue for dessert. So DELICIOUS! Luckily, they are looking at opening a restaurant here in the new City Creek Development, not that we can afford to eat there often or ever again, but it was still so good (just stick with the mashed potatoes and don't get the rice.)
That night we hit up the Fiesta Family Fun Center and played a round of mini golf and went to the batting cages. I've never done that before, but thanks to years of church softball growing up, I wasn't terrible.
Tuesday, we hit up the outlets on our way home. What a good weekend.
Of course we missed our little Co6aka like crazy and were super excited to see him when we got back. I think he missed us too.








2 comments:
Wow, times have changed since the days when I couldn't even get that lazy rat to even run a mile with me! And Venita you're looking great! Is your hair darker? Whatever it is, you look fantastic! And we really need to plan a ranch reunion trip someday...
Yup, the pup missed you...but I think we were growing on him, if maybe just a little!!
Post a Comment