
As some of you may have heard, today the LDS church announced that effective immediately, no North American missionaries would be called to serve in Russia. Those already in Russia will finish their service but those that are currently in the MTC will be reassigned. The church reports that the Russian Government now requires humanitarian visas to be renewed every 3 months instead of the old way of once a year. With 9 Russian missions and approximately 90-100 Americans in each, this is simply too costly for the LDS church.
It is interesting to hear this announcement as just yesterday I had expressed to my family my concern that in the near future, missionaries would be pulled out of Russia. With the recent events that have happened and the official statement the Russian Government issued against the U.S. this past week, it is apparent that the mother land is still hostile and preparing to hear the Gospel.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve in Russia and meet those great friends that I was able to become acquainted with. Some of the strongest members are hidden in the smallest villages there and Satan is trying his best to keep the remnants of the lost tribes of Israel from hearing the word of God. I do not worry though, this will not stop the work. Because of the humble circumstances many members are in, the church is all they have and they will sacrifice anything for this work and its progression. The Lord has prepared many people to receive the blessings of the gospel and they will hear it one way or another! The work will prevail!
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700243183,00.html
5 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Lord made positive that he sent some great missionaries there while He could so that they could baptize strong members to continue the church.
That is sad. I know a lot of great missionaries that go to Russia (you included). Luckily the Lord knows all and loves the people of Russia so much! I know that He has a plan for them!
This is so awful! I’m so mad at how corrupt the Russian government is getting. Its not getting any better. Poor people. This is breaking my heart!
That is sad. It will all workout somehow.
Wow! That is sad! I haven't been following the Russian news so this is all new to me. I just have to say that I'm glad you went there, did great work, met Jeph, came home, got married and now I don't have to worry about you being over there anymore.
Post a Comment